SUGGESTED HERITAGE TRIPS
CREATE YOUR ITINERARY
Receive Email Updates
Enter your email address to receive heritage updates
Attractions (in subcategory: Railroading)
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Boreas Pass Section House and Wagon Cabin (11,481 feet) have carefully been restored and are now used as a backcountry ski hut (winter) and a railroad museum (summer). Visitors will find the site fully interpreted, including a representative section of narrow gauge track and railroad box car.
The 1880 Jefferson Depot is a well-preserved railroad depot on US Highway 285 in Jefferson. It is one of only a few intact structures remaining along the historic Denver, South Park & Pacific Railway. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Depot now functions as a real estate office(719-836-4833).
Listed on the State Register of Historic Properties, the Kenosha Pass Railroad Station site is important for its association with the D,SP&P railroad's crossing of Kenosha Pass. Visit the roadside exhibit on the east side of the road or walk the restored railbed and wye at this interpretive site (719-836-2031).
The Como Depot dates to 1880 when the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad was extended west from Denver. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the owners are now preserving the Depot. Please call 719-836-2594 for more information.
The Como Hotel was constructed in 1897 to serve passengers on the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railway from Denver. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the owners now operate the hotel as a restaurant and country inn (719-836-2594).
Built in 1881 by Italian stonemasons, the six-bay Como Roundhouse sheltered locomotives that battled their way over Boreas Pass. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is one of the region's best preserved railroad structures. A roadside exhibit at the south end of Como interprets the Roundhouse and other local resources. Como Railroad Days is held annually on the 3rd Saturday in August, and includes tours of the Roundhouse and several other historic railroad sites. For more information about Roundhouse tours and donations, please contact email@example.com.
A 19th Century Keystone iron truss railroad bridge now spans the South Platte River at McGraw Park in Bailey. Originally located farther down river, this bridge served the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railway until it went out of business in 1938. McGraw (historic) Park is open daily to the public at no charge (303-838-7740).
Local records indicate that this 1880s building was originally a barn or stable. Associated with the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railway, it was used as a residence, a blacksmith's shop and stables. In 1993 the USDA Forest Service renovated the building for use as a "backcountry" cabin on Boreas Pass.
The first Colorado Midland passenger train chugged up Granite Canyon (now Elevenmile Canyon) in 1887. A very scenic gravel road now retraces the old Colorado Midland grade where locomotive residue can still be seen around railroad tunnels blasted through solid granite.
The Fourmile Historic Auto Tour retraces the Denver, South Park & Hilltop Railroad up Fourmile Creek. Sign posts along the route correspond to ten different interpretive sites. At the head of this basin, Horseshoe Mountain is believed to be one of the most perfectly shaped glacial cirques (bowls) in existence. Auto tour brochures are available from the Pike National Forest office in Fairplay (719-836-2031) and online.
This 22-mile driving tour follows the old Denver, South Park and Pacific Railway grade over Boreas Pass. From Como the narrow gauge "Highline Route" climbed to the Great Divide (11,482 feet). Sign posts along the road correspond to 12 sites that are interpreted in the Boreas Pass Auto Tour Brochure. Tour brochures and audio CDs($10) are available at the Pike National Forest office in Fairplay (719-836-2031) and online.
The Hartsel areaÂ was a summer destination for Mountain Utes who frequented the natural hot springs. Sam Hartsel came to South Park in 1860 to mine but realized that he could make a better living raising food. Starting in 1862, his operations soon included a 10,000-acre ranch. Thirty years later the Colorado Midland Railroad shipped cattle and hay from Hartsel, and brought tourists to soak in the hot springs and gather wildflowers. TheÂ Hartsel School, Midland Depot, and Buckley Ranch National Historic District portray the evolution of Hartsel's Euro-American history.